Mom's Ikan Bilis (Anchovy) Story

Mom's Ikan Bilis Story started like this. Mom was preparing Anchovy soup base and Bee Hoon for tonight's dinner. I took a peek and asked her what's her secret ingredient.
She showed a her precious Anchovy Powder which was already running low.
Feeling rather sad and didn't know where to replenish her stock she turned and asked me. She received this little bottle from my brother who attended a friend's wedding and it was a wedding favour gift. How useful I thought. So what I did next was searched for the label and look what I found!
The contact to replenish mom's Anchovy Powder! She was overjoyed! I told her that I will contact the number at the bottom of the jar and ask for a quotation. Within minutes I was whatsapping  the number to get some quotes and further enquiries. Within seconds, my whatsapp messages were answered! I was amazed! 
I began talking to a friendly lady called Sue. I was so glad I manage to get in touch with her and help mom replenish her stock. Mom uses this really fine powder in her anchovies soup base and she claims that it makes the soup very fragrant. Just by boiling and adding the usual anchovies are not enough. I will share with you on mom's dish preparation in the blogpost below. But first let me introduce to you mom's secret ingredient. Sue's Kitchen Homemade Anchovy Powder. And mom actually stumbled upon it by chance sometime back as it was a wedding favour gift and she has been using it all these while when cooking anchovies soup base and I only discovered her secret ingredient today while peeping at her food preparation for cooking today. I am super excited to share this special ingredient with you. The powder is super fine and very aromatic.
For friends who would like to order, you can Whatapp or contact Sue's Kitchen at 012-3059131. Her Facebook page is also very well managed with tons of recipes and where to buy. She has resellers who also place her products for sale at certain fairs in the mall. 
Photo: From Sue's Kitchen Facebook Page


Check out and follow her Facebook page for more details.
https://www.facebook.com/suepowderkitchen/

OK! Now back to mom's cooking. What you will need are tons of anchovies!!!!
Rendam the Ikan Bilis with water for 5 mins and stir fry with garlic till fragrant. On another pot boil some water. Place the stir fried anchovies in boiling water and boil in high heat for 15 mins and then low heat for another 15 mins. Next mom added in her secret ingredient.
Mom enhanced her anchovies soup base with Sue's Kitchen Homemade Anchovy Powder although she has put tons of anchovies to boil. She swears by it now and we're ready to reorder after I finally found her contact. The powder is so fine and fragrant.
Adding a table spoon into the soup makes it even sweeter and lagi "heong"
 After boiling the soup in high heat and low heat, it's time to drain out the ikan bilis.
 The Ikan Bilis soup base is ready! Yay! Besides the soup base mom also prepared some minced meat to go with the ikan bilis soup noodles.
And yes! Early Dinner is served! Mom even made Fried Wanton to go with the noodles.

 Bee Hoon with Ikan Bilis Soup
 For your very own dose of Anchovies Powder you can also purchase from Sue's Kitchen Resellers. I am amazed she has so many resellers!!!!
Sue's Kitchen Homemade Food Powder range is available at:

WEST MALAYSIA

SELANGOR
Grains & Beans Trading, Kota Kemuning
No 14, Block 3-10-1, Persiaran Anggerik Vanilla, Kota Kemuning, 40460, Shah Alam, Selangor.

Dr Fruits, Kota Kemuning
No 67, Jalan Anggerik Vanilla N31/N, Kota Kemuning, 40460, Shah Alam, Selangor.

The Red Cherry, Petaling Jaya
POP Jaya One, Petaling Jaya, Selangor.
Open Daily 10am - 10pm

Puzhong Enterprise, Puchong
20, Ground Floor, Jalan Puteri 5/5,
Bandar Puteri, 47100, Puchong, Selangor.
Tuesday - Saturday: 8.30am - 7pm
Sunday: 8.30am - 4pm
Monday: Closed

Soon Lee Food Provisions Enterprise, Setia Alam
6-g, Jalan Setia Indah U13/y, Setia Alam, 40170, Shah Alam, Selangor.
Closed on Monday

Constant Pharmacy, Klang
145gf, Jalan Susur, Off Jalan Meru,
41050, Klang, Selangor.

Beans & Grains, Klang
No 55, Jalan Bayu Tinggi 6/ks 6, Taman Bayu Tinggi, 41200, Klang, Selangor.

KUALA LUMPUR
Kindness Enterprise, Kepong
No 30, Jalan Burung Pucung, Taman Bukit Maluri, 52100, Kepong, Kuala Lumpur.
Closed on Monday

PERAK
Grace Valley Organic, Ipoh
No 5, Hala Pinji 2, Pasir Putih, 31650, Ipoh, Perak.

JOHOR
Pure Organic House
151, JALAN Pendekar 2, Taman Skudai Baru, 81309 Skudai, Johor.

EAST MALAYSIA

SABAH
Mommys Angels Baby Shop
Block L Unit No 4, Metro Town, Jalan Bunga Ulam Raja, 88400 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. 


According to Sue, the powder is made without salt, MSG and preservatives. Hence the taste is naturally mild from the ingredient. I think the taste enhances mom's cooking! Yum!
 I also found out that beside the Anchovy Powder, Sue's Kitchen offer  a wide variety of other powder that enhances one's cooking.

 I will try out her other products and share mom's cooking with it in another blogpost. Hmm... this set looks interesting. It consist of:
Japan Scallop 30g
Anchovy 30g
Mushroom 20g
 Here are her list of products and pricing if you want to order.

江鱼仔
Anchovy Powder
👨‍👩‍👧‍👦 + 👶
100gm 🔸RM33
200gm 🔸RM64
300gm 🔸RM92
400gm 🔸RM120

有机初榨纯椰油江鱼仔粉
Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil Anchovy Powder
👨‍👩‍👧‍👦 + 👶
100gm 🔸 RM38
200gm 🔸 RM74
300gm 🔸 RM107
400gm 🔸 RM140

银鱼仔粉
Whitebait (Silverfish) Powder
👨‍👩‍👧‍👦 + 👶
90gm 🔸 RM40
200gm 🔸 RM83
300gm 🔸 RM123
400gm 🔸 RM160

虾米
Shrimp powder
👨‍👩‍👧‍👦
100gm 🔸RM44
200gm 🔸RM83
300gm 🔸RM123
400gm 🔸RM160

日本干贝
Japan Dried Scallop
👨‍👩‍👧‍👦  + 👶
40gm 🔸 RM48
100gm 🔸RM116
200gm 🔸RM228

日本干贝江鱼仔
Japan Dried Scallop Anchovy  👨‍👩‍👧‍👦  + 👶
90gm 🔸RM46
200gm 🔸 RM96
300gm 🔸RM138
400gm 🔸 RM182

花菇
Shiitake Mushroom
👨‍👩‍👧‍👦  + 👶 + ☘素
70gm 🔸RM35
200gm 🔸RM94
300gm 🔸RM138
400gm 🔸RM180

Charges for postage / delivery:

Klang Valley
🔹200gm purchases RM9
🔹300gm or above / Value Set purchases free delivery

Outstation
🔹200gm purchases RM9
🔹300gm or above / Value Set purchases from RM16

Postage apply to East Msia

Sue's Kitchen can be reached at 012-3059131. 

For more info, log on to
https://www.facebook.com/suepowderkitchen/


Here's Sue's touching story behind her Homemade Powder Business and it all began.....

I started to be a stay-at-home mom since I had my first child. When he started taking solid. I read that anchovies provide a great source of nutrients for babies:-
~ protein, vitamins and minerals
~ calcium, iron and magnesium
~ omega-3 fatty acids

However, the traditional way of cooking, which throw away the boiled-out anchovies is such a WASTE. Then, the idea of homemaking anchovies powder has came to my mind. I am not too sure whether other mommies are doing the same, but I found this is really a brilliant idea to turn the anchovies into a handy small jar of powder. It saves up a lot of space in the freezer.

I am proud to share this idea to all the mama friends around me. They started to ask me to homemaking it for them too, as most of them are working moms. They really in need of the anchovies powder for instant food preparation for their kids and family after work.

Now, my second child has turn to 3 and start to join play school. I have more time, and and turn this into my 'home business'. I enjoy doing it as I can now have my own 'career', as well as spending quality time with my children.

From the beginning stage, I would say the powder is still a little rough (compare with the texture now ;p). After few times of improvement, the powder texture is now close to perfect even though blended together with the anchovies bones. It is worry-free for mommies to give your babies anchovies now as it does not have the risk of choking, and at the same time enhancing the porridge taste.

Other than anchovies powder, I do home-making mushroom powder, garlic powder, shrimp powder, seasoning powder for own home used. However, with only a pair of hands, I am not be able to mass produce all the powders to sell because Mama Sue always guarantee:

~ PURE ingredients
~ NO preservatives
~ NO added msg
~ NO flavoring
~ NO sun-dried
~ NO foreign labour job
~ NO furry pet at home
~ NO nice packaging (unnecessary cost)
~ FRESH from the oven

At the moment, mama Sue only homemaking anchovies and shrimp powder to sell. Although mama Sue receiving more and more orders, and have restless nights (because only do it when the children go to school or go to bed), but feeling motivated, especially knowing that the powders will be bringing to oversea by customer.

PS: I'm feeling thankful of my wonderful husband. He has been so supportive on what I am doing now. He helps handling the children while I'm rushing on the orders.  


All the best, Sue in your business! Will be trying out all your other products soon and I am sure mom will be overly excited experiment your special powder ingredient with her new dishes. I can't wait to try!


 Happy Cooking, friends!




Comments

Popular Posts